Baccarat, also known as Punto Banco, is perfect for those who don’t like memorizing thousands of rules. Baccarat is suitable for players of all skill levels.
What you need to know about playing Baccarat:
- Baccarat is a very simple game in which the player makes one of three available bets: on the player, the banker, or a draw.
- After the players have placed their bets, the rest of the game is out of your control.
- But Baccarat is fickle, like a coin toss. This makes it very exciting but also makes it difficult to use the optimal strategy.
- To play Baccarat successfully, you first need to use a betting system, keep track of your bankroll, and know that you don’t have to bet every round.
It’s always enjoyable to play. You can sit back and relax because the rules are elementary. You only have to make a few decisions because everything in this game is practically predetermined.
All you have to do is have a basic understanding of the available rates, and you are perfectly prepared for hours of entertainment.
In Baccarat, players can place bets on either the player or the banker. Players can also bet that the player and the dealer will end in a draw, but this bet has very little chance of winning and should therefore be avoided.
You place your bets in the appropriate betting box on the table before the dealer deals the cards to the players, so you need to decide before you see the cards. In total, only three bets need to be considered in the game, without the possibility of making another or additional side bet.
The payout percentages for these three rates are as follows:
- Players’ bets are paid 1:1.
- Banker bets are paid 1:1, but with a casino commission of 5%.
- Most casinos payout 8:1, and sometimes (but rarely) – 9:1.
Baccarat’s goal is to get as close as possible to the highest hand in the game – the nine. A hand is closer to nine wins.
- Players place a bet on the victory of the banker or the player, or on a draw. Once the bets have been placed, the only thing the players can do is observe the game’s progress.
- The dealer deals two cards to the player’s board and two cards to the banker’s board.
- The dealer rates both hands according to the rules of Baccarat’s game, including the deal of additional cards.
- The dealer announces which hand or bet wins.
How does the dealer evaluate the hands of the player and the banker?
The player does not need to understand how the dealer evaluates cards and hands. All this is determined automatically based on the rules of the baccarat game.
However, if you still want to know how the game is solved, we have listed the detailed rules for you here:
After the bets have been placed, the dealer deals two cards first to the player and then to the pot and starts evaluating the two hands.
1. First, the dealer evaluates the player’s hand:
- if the player’s hand has 8 or 9, this is called Natural, and the player’s hand wins automatically. If the banker also has 8 or 9, then it is a draw;
- if the player’s hand is 6 or 7, the player’s turn ends – the so-called “Stand”;
- if the player’s hand has 5 or less, the dealer deals the third (last) card to the player’s hand, and the player’s turn ends – the so-called “Stand”.
|0-5||draws the third card|
2. The dealer then evaluates the banker’s hand:
- if the banker’s hand is 7, 8, or 9, the banker’s turn ends;
- if the banker’s hand is 6, and the player’s third card was 6-7, the dealer deals the third card to the banker’s hand;
- if the banker’s hand is 5, and the player’s third card was 4-7, the dealer deals the third card to the banker’s hand;
- if the banker’s hand has 4 and the player’s third card was 2-7, the dealer deals the third card to the banker’s hand;
- if the banker’s hand has 3, and the player’s third card was 0-7, the dealer deals the third card to the banker’s hand;
- if the banker’s hand has 2 or less, the dealer deals the third card to the banker’s hand.
3. After the dealer has rated both hands, he declares the winner – the hand with the most points wins.
Card points values in Baccarat
|10, Jack, Queen, King||0 points|
If the total amount of cards is more than 10, only the value greater than 10 is taken into account; for example, 8 + 8 = 16 equals 6 points.
If the score is 10, for example 7 + 3 = 10, so the player has 0 points.
The straight-eight is called Le Petit, and the natural 9 is called Le Grande. If any of these amounts appear on the first two dealt cards, Le Petit or Le Grande wins, the deal stops, and the round ends. A draw is considered with cards of the same rank, and the game is over.
On the baccarat table at the edge of the table, numbers are printed indicating the players’ number.
A typical baccarat table is designed for 12-14 players. The desktop version for 7-9 players (mini-baccarat) is also distributed.
Above the player’s number, you see three squares on the table:
- Punto (player): the first box closest to the players’ score is the player’s betting box;
- Banco (bank): after that comes the banker’s bookmaker;
- Draw: and finally, the draw box farthest from the court.
You choose one of these three squares on the table and place your bet here.
Mini-Baccarat Table – Online Variation
Depending on the casino you are playing at, you may notice a variation of Baccarat called Mini Baccarat.
This option is offered in both live casinos and online casinos.
Mini Baccarat follows the same rules as the glamorous mother game, with some minor differences:
- The dealer is one, not two or three, as in stationary casinos.
- The game takes place at a table that can seat seven players. The table is a semicircle and can accommodate only seven players.
- The dealer deals all cards face down.
A mini-baccarat table is currently the most common table option in both casinos and online casinos.
Live Baccarat Table – Another Online Option (Live Casino)
Live casinos often use a table with only one player/banker board. All bets are processed digitally for each player separately, and each player sees only his result. Thus, this variant of the baccarat table has its advantages and disadvantages.
You cannot see how many players are playing or what bets they are placing. However, there is more room on the screen for all other aspects: cards, dealers, and statistics. It is for this reason that this table variant is especially popular among players on smartphones and tablets.
Baccarat Strategy Tips for Beginners
The controlled and conscious advantage of the casino in Baccarat is very convenient for the players:
1. Always put on the banker’s hand
In online Baccarat, the banker’s hand winning chances are slightly higher than the player’s since the banker’s hand is determined only after the player’s hand.
That is, the banker’s hand knows what to beat before deciding whether to take the third card or not. According to statistical studies, this house edge is 1.24%.
If you place a bet on the banker’s hand, you will have to pay a 5% commission (your winnings will only be paid out in the amount of 95%), reducing the bank advantage for online casinos by 1.06%.
Thus, if you are betting on a player’s hand, the pot advantage in an online casino is 1.24%.
However, if you place your bet on the banker’s hand, the online casino banking advantage is 1.06%.
2. Bet on a draw is not worth it
If you bet on a draw, these bets are paid out not 1: 1, but in the range from 8: 1 to 9: 1 depending on the online casino, which sounds tempting at first but turns out to be the worst bet for you.
The probability of a draw is only 9.53%, which means a house edge (for example, with an 8: 1 payout) of 14%. So these bets should be avoided.
Read about strategy: baccarat strategy
3. Money management in Baccarat
Please read our article on Baccarat money management for the best strategies to minimize your losses and end the game with more money in your pocket than you originally had. Various game strategies can be used in Baccarat.
In this game, you can use the Fibonacci system, the Password system, and the Martingale system, of course, depending on your individual preferences in the game. Betting strategies are beneficial for organizing and keeping track of your bets but first read carefully which betting strategy works best for you and your gaming needs before trying them.
Read about money management: money management in Baccarat.
Play Baccarat Online – Choose a Casino From Our List
All casinos in our top list above offer both free games and real money baccarat games. Or you can try the free baccarat game directly from us.
When you’re ready to start, please choose one of the best Australian baccarat casinos from our list and start playing! All you need is a registered account, casino software or browser access, and of course, the baccarat game of your choice!
All the Most Important Baccarat Terms
|Baccarat||Apart from the name of the game, Baccarat names the worst hand – 0 points|
|Baccarat Box||An exclusive, dedicated area in the casino where high rollers can play relatively privately.|
|Banco||Amount wagered by the bank, also denotes the bets on the bank.|
|Banco à deux||When two players are together bankers.|
|Banco Double||doubling the pot amount.|
|Banque Ouvert||Banker accepts all bets, no matter how high.|
|Banker||Player who in principle plays for the casino and determines the Banco.|
|Bankroll||Budget that you set aside for your game|
|Cagnotte||The withholding tax on the amount of a banker in a classic casino ranges from 2 to 4%.|
|Carte d ‘arrêt||is a neutral card that is placed before the seventh card from the last card.|
|Carte de coupe||is a neutral double-sided red card that identifies the moment at which the coupon is issued.|
|Chef de partie||is a dealer who changes chips|
|Chemin de Fer||is a variant of Baccarat in which the player takes a more active role.|
|Coup||refers to a single game round.|
|Coupe||cut off, take off.|
|Down-Card||A face down card.|
|Go Bank||Bet against the banker’s full stake alone.|
|High Roller||players who run the risk of making very high bets.|
|Hit||Take the third card. The rules for getting a player or dealer’s third card are already established, and more than one hit is not allowed.|
|La Grande||Hand with a price of 9.|
|La Petite||Hand with a value of 8.|
|Mini Baccarat||A faster, low-stakes version of Baccarat that is played in a regular casino rather than Baccarat.|
|Modulo 10||Mode in which tens are not calculated for all values greater than 10. for example 14 = 4 points.|
|Natural||Hand that has scored 8 or 9 points with the first two cards. The player wins automatically when he is dealt a 9 unless the banker also gets a 9. And the player wins automatically when he is dealt an 8 unless the banker gets an 8 or 9.|
|Ponte||the player who bet the highest amount against the banker.|
|Pointer||gamblers who bet against the banker using Ponte.|
|Punto||bets on the player.|
|Punto Banco||is a famous American variant in which the casino is the banker.|
|Sabo||the card slot in which the cards are inserted.|
|Suite||the banker wins and wants to withdraw his capital.|
|Suivi||the banker wins and wants to keep playing.|
|Stand||Don’t take the card. Watch the Hit.|
|Trend||is a pattern in a player’s or banker’s winnings. The player marks the frequency of his winnings on a specially provided paper to determine the trend to bet.|
|Tie||is the riskiest draw bet.|
|Vigorish||5% commission charged on banker bets.|